Saturday 15 October 2011

South Wales: Adventure at your own speed - UK, Travel - The Independent

South Wales: Adventure at your own speed - UK, Travel - The Independent: "That afternoon I head to Pendine Sands, a seven-mile stretch of beach washed perfectly flat by every outgoing tide. Dylan Thomas described it as a "yellow coldness going away into the distance of the sea". In the 1920s it was where Malcolm Campbell and JG Parry-Thomas contested the world land speed record.

Today, Morfa Bay Adventures is one of the few businesses allowed to open the throttle on the sands, though its wind-powered land yachts, speedy as they are, can't match the 170mph racked up by those racers of old. On the day I visit the wind isn't blowing, and so with my new-found kayaking skills we take to the sea instead and explore the caves and sea cliffs around Gilman Point to a hidden cove with a pebble beach. Jono Owen, an instructor for Morfa Bay, is clearly entranced by the area. "I did my teaching degree in London," he says as we try to kayak-surf some small waves back to the beach. "But I couldn't help being drawn back here. I don't know from day to day whether I'll be coasteering, surfing or kite surfing. I can't complain though," he says, surveying the scenery. "It's not a bad office, is it?""

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment